BIODIGESTER CONTRACTORS IN KENYA
What is a biodigester?
Bio–Digester is a decomposition mechanized toilet system that decomposes Human Excretory Waste in the digester tank using specific high graded bacteria further converting it into methane and water, discharged further to the desired surface.
According to Standard Media, a leading media house in Kenya, going green and sustainability are common phrases today as people change their approach towards energy and waste management.
The government has, for instance, been championing the installation of solar water heating devices to make use of sunlight as a renewable source of energy. But a particular headache for many is waste management, especially for those who live or are putting up homes in places that are not served by proper sewerage facilities.
Githaiga, a landlord in Nyandarua County had constructed a septic tank. Recently, he embraced the toilet bio-digester technology after learning about it from the Internet. This has saved him more than Sh.10, 000 that he used to pay for exhaust services weekly.
Elsewhere, Kakuswi Special School for the Deaf director Timothy Mukilya explained that sewage waste disposal is what used to eat into the school’s coffers most. The school, which has 64 students alongside the teaching staff and the non-teaching staff, previously used pit latrines. “Before I constructed the toilet bio-digester at a cost of Sh260, 000, I used to pump in more than Sh100, 000 every month to seek for exhaust services,” Mukilya says.
The new toilet bio-digester in the school has the capacity to serve between 150 and 200 people. If the school expands, he says he intends to expand its capacity. Toilet bio-digester technology only found its way into the minds and plans of many recently.
“This technology supports better hygiene and is relatively cheap,” says Charles Ndung’u, a technical director with Inspire Property Consultants.
“A 1.2 cubic meters toilet bio-digester, which can serve one to 30 people for a domestic family unit, can cost you close to Sh100, 000. This will be your last investment compared to the unreliable exhaust services,” he says.
What is a biodigester used for?
A biodigester is like a mechanical stomach. It is fed with organic material, which is broken down (decomposed) by micro-organisms (bacteria) in an oxygen-free (anaerobic) environment to produce renewable energy called biogas (methane and carbon dioxide) and other material that is mainly used as fertilizer.
What is a toilet digester?
Biofil Digester is a decentralized wastewater treatment system that uses anaerobic digestion. The digester can also be modified to treat waste from existing septic tanks or treat sludge from other toilet systems.
How much does a biodigester cost in Kenya?
“With the limited amount of space in Nairobi, biodigesters are the way to go,” he adds. With an installation cost is about Sh80, 000, Antony reveals that this is relatively affordable.
Why Use Biodigesters
- Economical Bio-digesters are cheaper to install and maintain compared to conservancy septic tanks and soak pits and require very few manholes/inspection chambers.
- Environmental Friendly Recharges groundwater systems, thereby ensuring the availability of water in the ground (unlike in the centralized sewer system which pushes the water into the oceans).
- No exhausting A modern bio-digester does not require any exhaustion. So no need to call expensive exhausting services, and no messy toilet left-overs by honey suckers.
- No smells You rest assured with the installation of modern biodigesters.
- Guarantee/Warranty The modern bio-digester is guaranteed for a 5-year period after installation against the manufacturer’s defect.
- NEMA-approved The NEMA and the Ministry of Water & Irrigation have recommended and approved the modern bio-digester for use in handling all domestic, institutional, and commercial house water in Kenya.
Types of Bio Digesters
Biodigesters come in different designs and sizes for all types of homes and residential houses.
- Standard Biodigester | This is ideal for domestic houses, farmhouses, office blocks, workshops, cottages, and housing estates.
- Jumbo Biodigester | Ideal for a block of flats, apartment blocks, school dormitories, hospitals, horticultural farms, factories, hotels, and restaurants with 1 – 100 continuous users.
- Jumbo Deluxe | Ideal for a block of flats, apartment blocks, schools, hospitals, and factories with 100-200 continuous users.
- Super Jumbo | Ideal for a block of flats, apartment blocks, schools, hospitals, and factories with 200-400 continuous users.
Additionally. “Ndung’u, who is also an environmental science graduate, says this technology can be a solution to many problems, especially in fast-growing urban centers. He says, a toilet bio-digester, has chambers that allow sewage waste to be degraded as it goes through it.
The end product is re-usable products such as water, which can be reused for flushing toilets and farming after the water treatment.”Bio-digesters can be a real game-changer in Kenyan cities like Nairobi where people depend on exhaust services and the aging Ruai Sewerage Treatment Plant,” Ndung’u says.
Dancom construction ltd has continuously supported customers who wish to set up modern waste management facilities to help mitigate environmental problems caused by traditional human waste disposal mechanisms such as pit latrines and septic tanks.
Let us have a conclusive discussion and construct a modern biodigester system for your home, farm, residential, school, hospital, and business premise.
To set up a biodigester system please call +254 726 696 275